Friday, December 21, 2012

fa la la - finished object!

grey hexagon crocheted blanket









(Technically, this isn't really a falala post - but we can all still be friends, right? Good, I was hoping you would say yes).

This is my wedding gift for my friend Lynn and her husband. I finished it yesterday and dropped it off today, meeting Lynn in the parking lot of her hair salon (which sounds strange as I type this but I know the makers out there totally get it. When you've finished something largish, sometimes you just have to ambush the recipient with the finished results - She liked it!).

I started making the hexagons in the summer - right after Lynn announced her engagement, taking minor diversions here and there to make fingerless gloves and tea cozies for birthday and Christmas gifts. The fa la la Fridays were also a good excuse to reset and take a small weekly diversion without completely derailing the hexagon mojo.

The colour inspiration came from Rosa P's gorgeous gray creation. My other friend LM helped me choose a few colours that were Lynn-esque (the hot pink, the chartreuse). I used these amazing instructions over at Attic 24.

I am not so good at keeping notes but here's what I can tell you:

Hook size: 4.25
Size: 12 hexagons per row (and a few half hexagons), 19 rows 
Yarn: The greys are both Cascade 220 (About 11 balls of the light grey)
The white is cascade superwash and the centres are Smart superwash. I swatched and tested the reds to see that they wouldn't bleed into the white and it passed the test).

And there it is. I hope it finds good use over the long and lovely winters. 

And friends, Merry Christmas to you all. I am so thankful for all of you.

xoxo.









5 comments:

ana said...

ambush gift giving! i love it! (and totally get it)
it's beautiful.
happy fa la la friday!

Lynn One, Purl Two said...

TARA!!! SO beautiful! I am going to secretly hope that you are ALWAYS hiding out in the parking lot each and every time I get my haircut now.

Thank you SO much! I really, really cannot thank you enough. It's beautiful. Stunning.

And I cannot WAIT to have my first nap under it. :)

Thank you.

xo

Kerry said...

Wow, that's gorgeous!

Johanna said...

That is amazing! What's the next crazy ambitious project?

Prairie Lemon said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations on finishing!

Post a Comment