Sunday, April 8, 2012

Spring glovelies



Hasn't it been a nice long weekend? I think so too. 

I've been reading a terribly thrilling book, trying out a new baby sweater pattern (more on that later), and watching lots and lots of golf (which I can't say that I've ever done before.)

These little lovelies were made using not quite one ball of Drops Alpaca using a basic improvised pattern. I made a pair last year using Drops Delight and they turned out snuggly and sweet.

Here are the basic elements of the pattern... (bear with me, this is my first attempt at scratching together a pattern. Also, these were made for my smallish hands... If you're looking for something bigger, bump up the needle size, or try a sport weight yarn, or try casting on a few more stitches. What follows is basically the essence of a pattern...)

Needles: 2.5 mm double-pointed needles
Yarn: One skein of Drops Alpaca or Drops Delight

Cast on 56 stitches using the long-tail cast on. Join the round and work k2, p2 for five rounds.

Knit straight until piece measures 4 inches from cast-on edge.

Thumb gusset: Knit 4 stitches, place marker, knit 1, place marker, knit to end of round.
*Knit to marker, slip marker, make one left, knit one, make one right, slip marker, knit to end of the round. Knit one round straight.* Continue these two rows between the stars until you have 19 stitches between the markers.

Knit to marker (and remove the marker), place 19 stitches onto piece of waste yarn (remove the other marker) and knit to end of the round.

Continue knitting straight for 1.5 inches. 
Switch to ribbing and k2, p2 for five rows. Cast off loosely.

Pick up the stitches around the thumb and pick up 2 more stitches along the top. Knit in the round for 0.5 inches and then switch to k2, p2 ribbing for five rounds and then cast off loosely. Sew up any little gaps around the thumb.

Wear and enjoy!



3 comments:

Lynn One, Purl Two said...

what's with everyone watching golf this weekend!?!?!? silly me... it's a perfect opportunity to knit, of course!

LOVE those gloves.

happy easter!

Anonymous said...

beautiful....must try making a pair....BUT....I always think of you as "pink" girl and yet all of your posts have been ether blue or greyish tones....

I have to get used to you in this new light!
mc

ms.tee.kay said...

thanks! It's funny, I too think of myself as a pink girl but I've been going through a gray period for sure lately :)

Post a Comment